Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dear Roberta

Dear Roberta,

Never underestimate the amount of resentment and hostility I harbor towards artists. It definitely springs largely from envy. They can behave quite badly indeed, but I behave terribly. While they operate with a kind of freedom and courage, I operate not on a kind of desperation and fear, but DESPERATION and FEAR. I'm terrified that I will be failure and die without a New York Times review.

It really doesn't matter how much I toil away in studio or how much money I pour into my art, but it is my freedom to say "I AM the greatest artist in the world," if I may say so, which really doesn't require a court decision.


Sincerely,
William Powhida

Never underestimate the amount of resentment and hostility we harbor toward artists. It springs largely from envy. They can behave quite badly, but mainly they operate with a kind of freedom and courage that other people don’t risk or enjoy. And it can lead to wondrous things.

In the end it doesn’t matter how many people toil on a work of art, or how much money is spent on it. The artist’s freedom includes the right to say, “This is not a work of art unless I say so.”


read the whole article.

No comments: