Friday, January 23, 2009

On being the lemon...

I'd like to make sure that I also take responsibility for the Lemonade Stand getting edited. It's not a stretch to see that the implicit critique of the Lemonade Stand, art as a service economy for the wealthy, was overshadowed by the drunken antics of four artists. It's also possible that our critique was obliterated by being jackasses. My feelings are just that, feelings that stem from the fact that I wasn't really part of any discussion with the fair about the illegal bar aspect. Jade talked with the powers that be, and we acted as discreetly as possible for the following two days of the fair and felt that the booth continued to function as a social hub for gossip, advice, and critique. It wasn't the most pleasant environment, Miami in general, with anxiety running high over the impact of the economic downturn affecting everyone. Previous years in Miami had the atmosphere akin to spring break for the art world, and idea for the stand grew out of response to those conditions, a non-vip hub, a break from the pomp that we debuted at the NADA county affair this past July. We ran an illegal bar there under the guise of a Lemonade Stand, and were far more discreet about the booze than we were at Pulse. At Pulse, we thought everyone understood what we were up to and made little or no attempt at being discreet. I think we mistook participation for sanction. This is squarely our fault, and it's easy to see the flip side to my rant. We looked like were drunken hooligans having a party while the dealers and the fair itself were conducting business, very anxious business that both Jade and I sincerely hoped to bring some levity to as artists. Pulse is a fantastic fair full of great galleries run by some awesome people who were dealing with shit way beyond their control, apparently anyone's control at this point. I'm grateful, if that's even possible to say, to Pulse for letting us fuck up their fair. This is one of those moments where I am the douche bag. So, in an effort to not be a VH1 behind the music asshole, I've made some amendments to my original post, but I think it's worth leaving the whole mess intact...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought me wearing a poncho in the busy metropolitan area of Glens Falls, NY, was a head turner. Well best of luck with your stand in the future.

Anonymous said...

you're being to hard on yourself Bill - all in good fun and no one got hurt!